I’ve been depressed lately, so I made a list of things to make me feel better. It actually worked, and I hope it helps you if you’re having a hard time, as well.
- Distract yourself. Watch a funny movie. Listen to music. Call a friend. Just to keep your mind from ruminating.
- Do something productive, even if you don’t feel like it. Putting laundry away, doing the dishes, or even just straightening up helps you feel more purposeful. It’s hard to get motivated, but once you do something, it at least helps you be mindful and pay attention to the task rather than your depressing thoughts.
- Go outside. Take a walk. Go to the park. Walk around the mall. Just get some sunlight and fresh air. Leaving the walls of your home can help open your mind to new ways of thinking and focus on the positives.
- Make sure you’ve been social, productive and active, as described above. If you’re still depressed, remember that it’s just a feeling and it will pass. It will always pass. Push through it. I know you can.
- Remember that you are not alone. Even if you just search “depression” online, there are so many helpful links. And on Facebook, there are private groups you can join to talk about your depression with other people who feel the same way you do. It does a lot of good to talk and listen in a judgement-free environment. As always, I am here if anyone needs a listening ear or some encouragement.
In any case, I watched this video myself and felt 10x better.