Survival is a Talent is currently looking for mental health warriors to share their story in the Stories of Survival monthly feature. Do you live with a mental illness and have a story to tell? Living with a mental illness can be isolating, but you are not alone. Sharing your story can be therapeutic and helps chip away at mental illness stigma! Your story could reach someone when they really need it… when they think they are all alone. You could change someone’s life.
- What genres am I looking for? I am looking for personal stories about what it’s like to live with a mental illness. I especially love stories that humanize individuals with a “scary” mental illness. I want you to bring the reader into your life and tell me things like when your symptoms first started to appear, what being diagnosed was like, and how you came to terms with it. I am NOT looking for poetry, news articles, or fiction. As much as I love these genres, my readers want to read about your life directly. Examples of what I am looking for can be read here and here.
- How long does your piece need to be? Around 300-800 words is a good guideline.
- What do you need to include? Please send a bio of a few sentences in the third person, as well as a photo of yourself. You can include your social media links and website here. However, if you want to publish your piece anonymously, this is totally fine! Just be sure to let me know.
- Do I have any tips for the piece I submit? Yes! I recommend personal photos and subheadings. I will probably make some minor edits.
- Does it pay? Yes! I can pay $10 for each blog post. It’s not much, but it’s all I can afford. It’s extremely important for writers to get paid for their work, especially those of us in the mental illness community who tend to find it harder to keep traditional jobs. If you’d like to help me afford to pay my contributors, please think about donating!
- How do you submit your piece? Fill out the contact form below or email me at august@writersguidetolife dot org. I look forward to hearing your unique story!
- Do I accept pieces that have been previously published? No. I used to do this, but it hurt my site’s ranking on Google. My posts can be labeled as spam if there are duplicate blog posts on multiple sites.
- If you want to write about a condition not written about on the blog already, you are given priority.
- What if I want to write a general blog post about health and wellness or to promote my blog, vlog, or something else? If you’d like to submit a general blog post, I will be happy to publish it on Survival is a Talent, but I only pay for personal stories. For all other blog posts, I can only offer the opportunity to build your portfolio. If you already have an impressive portfolio and do not need exposure, I suggest you a submit a personal story.